Monday, July 9, 2007

A Sad Moment

Sorry for the sparse postings last week. I took a bit of a vacation and couldn't peel myself away long enough to blog.

Anyway, it's worth your time to get an update of the news in the morning. This sort of thing used to be almost required of every intern and new associate out there. Nowadays, it seems, the ubiquity of easy media (i.e. the internet) seems to be making people lazy. The tone of the morning news sets the tone of the markets for the day. It's a good way to not only get the opinion of the masses, but every once in a while it keys you into something that you might have otherwise missed. You should find some way to get your news. RSS feeds, podcasts, newspapers, anything will do, but do be sure to get your morning dose of news. It really does help.

This morning I had a sad moment on my way to work. I listen to the WSJ and NYT podcasts on the way to work in the morning. I find it to be a great way to catch up with a lot of the news that I may miss during the day or overnight (I walk to work, so I can't really read the paper on the way in). The NYT Tech Talk podcast had a special on the iPhone. They claimed that the iPhone release was our generation's lunar landing. That somehow the ubiquity of the release paralleled the ubiquity of people watching the lunar landing. . . that's just sad. I disagree completely that those are even vaguely comparable. The lunar landing was a huge step in human discovery and exploration. The iPhone is a toy. It's like saying beanie babies were a huge turning point in American history. How depressing.

1 comment:

Shank said...

Agreed. Completely depressing and shows how mass media has lost perspective on how 'events' actually shape humankind.

up here in canada, the iphone has barely made a ripple...

and certainly its release didn't have us glued to the tv watching watching steve unveil it.