Monday, July 16, 2007

Location, Location, Location

There was a comment I had not responded to for a while. I figured I should give it a proper post because I think the question lingers on many people's minds. The question was: "I am interested in your insight of New York versus London versus Asia. If given the opportunity to join a desk in any of those markets, which would you choose (and what desk)?"

There isn't really a clear distinction between NY, London and Asia markets. I assure you if you start in any of the above, you will eventually get the opportunity to go to the others if you are good. In fact, most top guys I know have traded in at least two of the three markets. While the London and Asia markets may seem particularly hot right now, these things are cyclical. In the long run it all evens out.

The desk also does not matter too much. Trading is trading, sales is sales, banking is banking. No matter what the underlying product is, the skill set learned is what is important. Be it risk management skill, sales and patience, cash flow modeling/forecasting or the art of the deal; it is that skill set that will be portable from job to job. I assure you none of the products are really all that complicated despite what people may try to tell you (and I've traded and modeled a lot of products).

No comments: