Sunday, May 13, 2007

In the Begining

So I've been pressured into building a blog. Hopefully this will be a mix of entertaining and helpful for those on the street and trying to get onto the street. If you're on the street, congratulations, you're in for a ride. If you're trying to get onto the street, I think you've come to the right place, but I may be a bit biased. . .

In the begining, you're a student. Peering into the confines of wall street through internships, books, movies and other media. Trust me, it's different when you get there. I'm equally interested in turning those who won't quite fit at all wall street firm away as I am in encouraging those who would thrive in these environments. I think I see the most miserable people I've ever seen working for investment banks as well as the happpiest people. Those who are happy here, though, are a different breed. Watch out.

If you're coming from another industry, this is a hard place to break into with experience from a different industry. Students are welcomed as fresh, unprocessed meat, but those who have been touched by other industries are often hard pressed to get by on the street. Exceptions are seasoned securities lawyers, welcomed into M&A areas, and CFO types.

Well, on to the meat, good luck and hope to hear from you.

No comments: