Sunday, June 29, 2008

Work-Life Balance

People often talk about having good "work-life balance." I've never quite looked at it that way. Being an economist, I've always thought everyone should simply maximize their own utility function. Some people get great enjoyment and fulfillment out of working all the time. Others find that relaxing on a ranch is far more fulfilling than putting in hours at an office. Every person needs to find what makes them happiest, and for some that doesn't exactly entail "work-life balance."

I think the most successful of people are those who really understand what they enjoy in life. A lot of people are just floundering about trying to reach some unknown goal, or even some goal that wouldn't necessarily make them happy. Perhaps I'm a just overly "Adam Smith-ian," but I think everyone should work toward happiness and everything else will fall into place. Those who find happiness by working 120hr weeks and getting the "thrill of the deal" will be bankers. Those who love the sense of accomplishment when helping others will become nurses and aide volunteers. Those who love the outdoors will become tour guides and camp counselors. The key is finding the right place for your own happiness. Too many people seem to think that money is the end-all and be-all of society. It's really not. I know lots of unhappy people with plenty of money as well as many very happy people with little money. You just have to find the right way to enjoy it.

Personally, I love my job and thinking about it all the time doesn't bother me. Going on vacation too long actually bothers me much more, as I will quickly get bored. Sites like http://projecteuler.net/ entertain me on vacations (yes, I'm a nerd). That being said, I do love the occasional extravagant vacation (but, of course, I'll have to be active the entire time -- sightseeing, eating, hiking, skiing, what-have-you).

If you're finding your job dreary every day and really enjoy something completely different, perhaps it's time for a career change. Don't define your job by how much money it will make you. Definitely don't allow your job to define you. Allow your personality to define your job. Too many people let society tell them that people (especially men) need to find jobs that will make them lots of money. Just have a job that makes you happy. You'll find a way to get around the money.

No comments: