Saturday, October 6, 2007

Weekends

The most interesting thing about the weekend is the options it allows people. The chunk of free time available to individuals and how they use it really distinguishes one from another. At work everyone may seem equally determined and intelligible, but how they choose to spend their free time separates people into distinct individuals.

Many of the most successful people I know live breathe and die their work. It envelopes every aspect of their life. On weekends they inevitably end up in the office to do work of some sort. Usually they go voluntarily to fix something up to be better/faster/smarter on Monday. Top traders have their second workstation set up at home so they can trade from home. This makes it even easier for those folks to continue to improve their work at home. I'm afraid I tend to separate most i-bankers out of this category because they are forced to work weekends, as opposed to doing it out of the desire to make their models more robust (I'm sure there are a few bankers out there that research better ways to model and value companies, but I just haven't met many).

This drive is what puts people ahead--taking their own time to gain more knowledge, make models better, optimize their machines. Often the same people start looking at the rest of their life in a similar fashion. Every interaction is a deal, a structure, a trade. Every person is a counterparty.

Is it worth it? Many bankers, traders, salespeople become drones at work and try to live their life outside work separately. Others allow finance to consume them and start thinking of everything as if it were a transaction. Which has become more consumed by their occupation?

Where are you going to fall? Are you a two year "see what it's like" person? Are you a life-long financier? Are you just doing it for the money and fund your outside lifestyle? Whatever you may be, wear your title with pride and do not judge others. Two-year trials are made fun of as "quitters" or "weak." Lifers are known as "losers" or "souless." Those doing it for the money only are known as "sellouts" or "whores."

None of these motives for being in finance are "right' or "wrong" in themselves. Really every occupation has their array of motives. Clearly I've made my choice. I spent my free time writing, reading and thinking about trading. My passion is the markets and my personality is competitive. I know this makes me happy. I know plenty of people who aren't happy in their current role and have plenty of choices that would make them happier. Don't let finance be your default. Make it a choice.

No comments: